Friday, July 6, 2012

Getting back to normal...

It's been a crazy couple of weeks and I'm definitely ready for my life to return to normal.

The Fourth of July was not as busy as we'd hoped, which also translates into not as profitable. :( Usually the 3rd and the 4th are the *big* selling days and they still were this year, but since they fell on Tuesday and Wednesday, respectively, they were slow in comparison. And I mean really slow. Two years ago, we had customers pretty much from four pm until midnight. Not so this year.

We also thought the weekend just prior would be busier as well, since many people would probably celebrate then, but it wasn't as busy as we'd hoped or expected either.

We haven't counted the money yet, but when all is said and done, we'll be in the hole. I won't go into a lot of detail, but something's gotta give or we may as well sell the store and go back to just buying and shooting fireworks for our own enjoyment. Even at several thousand dollars a year, it'd be much less hassle and a lot more fun.

A few pics from the store...

We all sleep in the store bedded down on air mattresses:

On the 4th, I caught a catnap on the shelf under the counter:

Had I a blanket, I would have been quite comfy and could have slept much longer. I did get a bit of sleep, though; enough to keep me going through midnight and the 2-hour drive home.

We had someplace we had to be yesterday morning and I ended up taking the day off work. I guess I really needed it. After two weeks of going, going, going, I had worn myself out. After DH and I got home, we both took a nap--and I ended up napping for five hours when all was said and done. It felt so good, let me tell you.

There's no rest for the weary, however. Or very little. Sonshine turns back into Marching Band Boy next Tuesday, so I'll have to don my Band Booster president hat once more.

Speaking of weary, it's going to be a long day. After staying up an hour past my bedtime--which I only did because I'd napped--my dogs woke me up at 2:30ish. I tried to ignore them, hoping (against hope) that they'd settle down eventually, but I finally had enough and rolled out of bed shortly after 3. Yes, AM. This has been ongoing for months now and, let me tell you, I'm wicked weary of it.

I let them both out and then in again, hoping that was all they needed. But no. It turned out one water bowl was empty and the other was in the garage and the door was closed. Once that was rectified, there was still whining and carrying on. And then eventually a big puddle of puke. So after mopping that up, finally, they settled down.

I was hot and awake, so I went back to the book I'd stayed up late to keep reading. It's called Scarlet, written by A.C. Gaughen. It takes the Robin Hood legend and turns Will Scarlett into a girl masquerading as a boy. It's a really well-written, fast-paced read and I'm quite enjoying it.

And now, I've got to get some work done today, though I do think, I'm leaving early to catch another nap and get a start on my weekend chores. I have a feeling it's going to take me longer than usual to get them done.

I hope I didn't come across too whiny, but I am tired. Monday will be better. Have a great weekend and see you then.


mtnchild said...

Wait until you hit 65 - you won't even think of doing 9/10's of what you do!!! I get tired of just from reading what you go through!
Love you

Regina Richards said...

Great looking store. I think when the 4th falls in the middle of the week it does put a damper on celebrating. I know the men in my household all had to work full shifts on the 4th and had to be back at work bright and early on the 5th. That meant a very low key holiday for us.

Jen FitzGerald said...

Mom - when I'm 65, Marching Band Boy will be an adult and out of the house and hopefully the store will be running itself or in someone elses hands

Regina - Thanks, and not even the trash men got a day off (so I have full bins now).