Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Jen's Grand Adventure

As you may or may not remember, I attended my first fan con(vention) this past weekend. I traveled to Atlanta on my own to attend 221B Con.

Let me just say--BEST TIME EVER!

I found my tribe. :) But more about that later...let's start at the beginning.

It started at about 4am last Friday morning. DH and had discussed when to leave for the airport and due to various factors decided that 4:30 was best. I dragged myself out of bed, ate breakfast, drank reheated leftover tea (even though I really wanted fresh), and made and drank my arthritis elixir (cinnamon and honey). I packed the last few items like deodorant and toothpaste and was ready to go. The drive was fine, though there was more traffic than one expects at that time of day. But it flowed fast and fine all the way to the airport.

Arriving that early was definitely a good thing. The line to check baggage (no curb-side check-in for Spirit Airlines) was long and it took about 45 minutes to finally get through. The security check on the other hand was quick and painless. I chose the good line and sent my purse and jacket through the X-ray machine and walked through the people screening machine. I didn't even have to take my shoes off. Woot!

After that I hunted down a restroom, some water for my water bottle, and some hot water in that order, and sat down to wait for my flight. I people watched a bit and then it was time to board. The flight was only an hour and a half or so and I spent the time with my eyes closed listening to the deep baritone of Benedict Cumberbatch reading Sherlock Holmes to me. :)

Navigating Hartsfield-Jackson Airport wasn't terribly difficult, but it took me half an hour to walk from the gate to the baggage claim. It really did. Don't get me wrong, it was a lovely walk as the corridor was filled with all manner of lovely art and historic information. I could have taken the tram, but I wasn't sure about it and opted for the exercise instead.

Once my suitcase was in hand, it was time to tackle the MARTA, Atlanta's rail system. I found the station and was on my way across Atlanta without further issue. I loved seeing all the wisteria growing like weeds along the way.

It's hard to see 'cause I was in a moving MARTA carriage! But all that purply stuff is it. 

It took a little orienting to find the hotel from the MARTA station, but only because there was a taller building between me and the hotel and I didn't immediately see it. But once I located it, off I went. I reached the hotel without incident despite construction and checked into my 9th floor room.

I had a westerly view and was able to enjoy the late afternoon sun and the sunset.

Anyway, I navigated myself all the way there and back (DFW to Atlanta and back) on my own. :) Quite a feat for me.

Con details and a few pictures on Friday, although I didn't take many.


No comments: