Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Comfort Zone, Week Two...

Things have settled a bit. I had another big test on Monday when one employee was thirty minutes late for our weekly staff meeting. On hubby's advice, I canceled the meeting and rescheduled for the following day. Lateness to these meetings seems to be a chronic thing for two of our boys (I'm the only gal in the place.) Needless to say they were not happy, but late boy was here forty-five minutes early the following day!

At some point, I'm going to stop with meetings as I meet with each employee individually everyday. The main original purpose of the staff meetings was so hubby could get caught up on the status of each tech's projects and for any issues to be brought to his attention. Well, if I'm meeting with them individually, then there's no point in a group meeting per se. But right now, it's more about establishing my authority as their boss.

Yesterday was a pretty good day. Everyone was out in the field earning money--no one in the office who needed to be kept busy all day. I had a breather and could get some other things worked on.

On a fun note, this weekend I'll be in Corpus Christi, Texas with a group of friends/acquaintances for the annual JAG meet. A group of ladies, who met over the Internet through our shared fan girling of the TV show JAG, get together each year to hang out, watch a lot of JAG, drink (some not all, and not me), and have fun. Normally, we meet at one gal's house here in the DFW area, but we'd been talking about making a trip to the USS Lexington since scenes from JAG's pilot episode were filmed aboard.

Now, I've been there twice. Loved it both times and am very much looking forward to going back to see what new places they've fixed, finished, and opened to public viewing. The first time, our family went with a group from our church and got to sleep aboard in the berthing section. That was quite an experience. And we lucked out since it was our group and a group girl scouts who got to prowl around the ship after it was closed to the public for the day. Normally they sleep about 500 a night during the on season. Between our two groups, there were maybe 60 people. NICE!!!

That's a picture I took from the very front of the ship looking toward the back of the ship. That's my daughter walking away from me. And the island there on the left.

Anywho, I'm excited to be going again and will bring back more pictures and a few new souvenirs. I can't come back without *something*. The best souvenir ever is a extra-large mug with a raised image of Lady Lex and a jet flying off it, which I use everyday for my hot tea.

We're leaving Friday am and returning Monday pm. I will have Internet access, thanks to our little handy dandy broadband in a thumb drive, but I don;t know that I'll be posting here from there. See you Tuesday!


mtnchild said...

Woo Hoo! a girls weekend ... those are always fun.

Have a blast!

Regina Richards said...

Sounds like a fun trip, jen. Enjoy!